Sunday 26 August 2012

Its like being back at school...


In June I was lucky enough to attend a Leiths cookery course as it was a present for my 21st birthday. After much time deciding the course I should actually go on (the course book is far too long and far too appealing) learning how to make bread was selected. In my eyes to be a real baker, I must at least be able to attempt a good white loaf and it was a challenge and I love a good challenge. I was overly excited when I boarded the train to London. However, it didn’t dawn on me I would know no one and what if everyone was better than me!
Outside of Leiths I got nervous, really nervous, to the point my boyfriend had to push me in the right direction and reassure me it would be all okay. When I began to climb the stairs to meet my fellow bread bakers it felt like my first day at school. I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know where I was going and 3.00pm seemed like a very long time away. BUT,   I should have never have worried. It was wonderful, I learnt huge amounts and all the people were lovely. Yes, all older than me and I felt a little immature, especially when I produced my apron, with a giant Pudsey Bear on the front,  but I forgot all of this as soon as we started baking.

We first watched the demonstration and just from this I learnt more than I ever had about baking bread. We made an enriched white loaf, Italian bread and fruit soda bread. The day was expertly organised, the ingredients all weighed out, the washing up taken care of and the proofing and cooking times all carefully watched by the student helpers. It was a bakers dream. Even more so when they produced the lunch, without fail I always look forward to lunch but this was special, homemade bread, deli meats, cheese and salad. I could have had more than my polite two plate’s worth. No one else held back on going up for more, we all liked baking and eating so it was nice to be in the same company. At the end of the day, we got a professional Leiths bag to take our bread home and a certificate, just to round it all off nicely.  I left with a huge smile on my face, and couldn't wait to tell everyone all about it.  Pretty much then exactly like my first day at secondary school but better and less hungry.
   However, caution! Before I went to Leiths on my one day course I had a dream(and still do) of being a full time student. This course made me want my dream even more!Be aware, it will make you entirely jealous of the Leiths students but who knows, maybe one day.



I might have also deviated into the Food Hall at Harrods, the custard buns are Paul Hollywood's creation, possibly heaven on earth? And sandwiches will never be the same again, if it doesn't look like this, it just is not worth eating. 


I have always wanted to visit the Hummingbird Bakery so this was the perfect opportunity.  As expected the cupcakes were wonderful and there were lots of flavors to chose from, however, they were not such a marvel that couldn't be recreated at home. I thought they were a little overpriced and as a baker who thinks cupcakes are far overrated, they were going to have to be something special to impress me.  Moreover, it reaffirms my thoughts, cupcakes are sponge and icing and that is there limit. 

This post would be more useful if shared what I learnt,  so here it is; 

  •       Working with fresh yeast instead of fast action yeast will produce much richer bread. Fast action yeast is perfectly good but fresh yeast gives bread finesse. Sometimes you can get it for free from bakers, even in supermarkets so definitely try it.
  •        You cannot over knead bread by hand, you can but it would take about a week. Using a dough hook it is easy to do but by hand not easy at all.
  •        A warm kitchen is a good kitchen for bread. The yeast works more efficiently and the dough likes warm temperature, so on a hot summers day, make a white loaf, there is not often the chance for such great bread baking conditions!
  •       You can leave dough to proof in the fridge or cooler temperatures, overnight or if you will be away from your dough. This is useful as it isn’t always convenient to be in the house all day, or have bread made from scratch by a reasonable lunch time.
  •       You can over proof the dough, if the dough has air bubbles on the top then the dough has been left to long. Also be careful when taking the cling film or bag off from the dough, it is delicate and you don’t want to tare the dough.
  •        Dough is not as robust as I thought. I presumed it was the opposite of making cakes, where a delicate touch is required. Working with dough, you should be gentle and respectful. When it comes to knocking back do not punch the dough with all your might, gently press the dough, you have worked on it so long by that point you don’t want to hit it with high levels of violence. More than anything it is a long loving relationship with bread dough.  
  •        The wetter the better for dough. It might look like your dough is never going to come together when you first start to knead it. Be persistent and patient, it will work.
  •         Salt is ESSENTIAL. Too little salt and your bread will be nearly inedible. Too much salt inhibits the yeast from working; the dough will be heavy, salty and leave you running the shops for an authentic ‘homemade loaf’.
  •        I need to start making a starter like now. To have wild yeast growing in the fridge, that I have to feed every day, is a beautiful thing. Not only does it make wonderful sourdough loaves, perfect for bacon sandwiches, it appeals to my need to care for something. A starter is the brilliant replacement for a pet at university, cheaper, produces actual bread and can live in the fridge. Perfect.   
      I have learnt that bread making is an art that requires constant practice, to be a real baker you must become in tune with how dough works, its smell, its feel and taste.  Unlike cake making that can be dabbled with. Bread is a talent that has to be learnt, perfected and passed on.  



No comments:

Post a Comment